ST Microelectronics Design Services
An ST Authorized Partner, SIANA has extensive experience working with the ST team & ecosystem. ST-based designs represents +70% of our work and, as a result, we have developed a strong relationship with the ST's US & European teams. As a design partner, we focus on 2 main activities:
Production Design: hardware / firmware production-grade implementation
Up-to-Date Expertise: early-access training on portfolio & tools
1. Production Design: for SIANA, a production design often starts with a referral working alongside ST's FAEs. Depending on your needs, we can take on the full design and provide the technical bridge with ST per your requirements. Or, we can come in to augment your in-house team and provide specialized ST-based expertise. In either case, we will work closely with ST to select the best-fit solution. As we advance through the design cycle, we periodically leverage ST's in-depth expertise to help us refine the design and overcome any technical issue.
2. Up-to-Date Expertise: to keep up with ST's innovations, we are continuously involved in evaluating and learning new tools and technologies. We maintain a full NDA with ST which often gives us early-access to key programs. We attend partner's training and events and strive to remain on the forefront of the latest & greatest. So that you don't have to...
Some of our expertise includes...
STM32 DESIGN & DEVELOPMENT (+STM32CUBEMX)
BSP INTEGRATION: HAL / LOW-LEVEL API / CMSIS / MBED / WICED, SECURED BOOT, DFU, LOW-POWER
LOW-LEVEL ISR/DMA DRIVERS (Q/SPI, I2C, FSMC, ETC...), RTOS INTEGRATION, LCD / HMI (+STEMWIN DRIVERS)
BLUETOOTH CLASSIC (BLUETOPIA), BLUENRG + BLE SERVICE DEVELOPMENT, WIFI DRIVER, NFC (+SECURE)
TCP/IP/SSL INTEGRATION, FOTA, MQTT / COAP, ETC...
Deep Learning at the Edge
SIANA is proud to announce that we have teamed up with the ST Microcontroller Division Machine Learning Group.
We are working in close collaboration with ST's Deep-Learning experts to deploy AI on STM32 cores!!!
Hardware / Firmware design
SIANA Systems has been developing embedded solutions for nearly 10 years in various industries from building automation, to medical, to consumer electronics. Over the years, we have acquired a broad set of skills that enables us to quickly evaluate and turn proof-of-concepts into production-grade solutions.
From Fast Prototyping to EVT/PVT design to Pre-Compliance to Functional Testing to production support.
With decades of combined experience, we consider firmware design & implementation our core expertise!
From memory-constrained 8-bit MCUs to 32-bit Cortex-M / A, we are passionate about developing production-grade code.
As a team, we keep up with the latest technologies and invest in industry-standard tools which result in a development process that consistently produces lean and portable code that will not block your product roadmap.
We routinely supply BSPs with drivers and RTOS integration to support custom application development, including:
UART, I2C, Q/SPI, MIPI drivers for peripherals: MEMS sensors, flash, LCD, NFC, battery monitors, communication controllers
Some of our application development experience includes:
Apple HomeKit & iAP2 devices (SIANA is an MFi Developer Licensee)
Wearables with custom inertial sensing algorithm (IMU/AHRS, HAR, Kalman/Weiner filter)
IoT devices with Ethernet, WiFi, Bluetooth / LE, Zigbee, LTE Cat-M1 / NB-IoT over TCP/IP/HTTP/REST, CoAP, MQTT
Secure Bootloader with Firmware Over-The-Air upgrade (FOTA)
If you can dream it (or spec it), we can code it!
From prototyping through production-readiness, our complementary team of firmware & hardware designers always works hand-in-hand through the full design cycle:
1. Proof-of-Concept: We excel at quick-turn of low-to-medium complexity systems required to evaluate a custom algorithm and/or third-party IP.
2. System Design: as an Arrow ACES partner, we work closely with Arrow, and silicon vendors, to make it a priority to select the right components that will fit your design budget, and production timeline & targets.
3. Fast Prototyping: as fervent users of the Altium Designer toolchain, we can quickly produce schematics & PCB/A designs that easily export to your, or our, preferred CMs for quick turn-around.
4. EVT / PVT Design: working with your selected manufacturing partner, we are used to taking prototypes through the mandatory manufacturing-readiness process and rigorous compliance requirements.
5. Functional Test Fixture design: we can assist manufacturing with custom test / commissioning firmware and/or designing & building full functional test fixtures.
lab / pre-compliance testing
Having gone through many design cycles, we understand the modern challenges associated with bringing a device to market. As part of our design process, we make it a priority to minimize design risks through consistent testing and gated reviews. Our goal is to ensure pre-compliance with industry standards as early in the design cycle as possible.
We achieve this through a consistent combination of lab testing and peer reviews, repeated as necessary based on the project complexity and timeline:
EMI Pre-Compliance is achieved through early and repeated testing in one of our partner lab. Working alongside lab professionals for support, we have access to a top quality research lab that comes fully equipped with anechoic chamber and test equipment / antennas to cover most designs in the sub-GHz to 2 / 5GHz ISM band.
External Peer Review is often considered (and proposed) when a short cycle and/or complex design demands it. We have never been afraid to make third-party expertise an integral part of our design process if it means that we’ll get it done faster with much less risk. We routinely hire the service of antenna/RF and EMI/C experts.
Cloud / Mobile design
Closing the Loop...
Designing a connected or IoT device presents significant challenges beyond the technical. The communication interface between the device and the mobile app (or cloud) is often handled by different cross teams, which work in different technology realms, i.e. IT/DevOps vs. mobile.apps vs. embedded. This mismatch may lead to slipping development schedule and a "lightly" tested solution that may fail to meet the user's expectations (requiring costly firmware upgrades).
Having completed multiple IoT projects, we experienced these challenges firsthand and quickly recognized the value of a single team handling all phases of the connectivity challenge. As a result, in addition to device development, SIANA offers mobile.apps development and cloud integration. Our team has experience with efficiently connecting devices through Bluetooth/BLE, WiFi, and NFC to mobile handsets (iOS, Android) and Cloud providers (AWS, Artik.)
Cloud integration for embedded devices extends beyond just connecting to the IoT layer. Any commercial solution must also include secure onboarding / provisioning, Firmware Over-The-Air Firmware (FOTA) upgrade, field device replacement, fleet auditing / management, etc.
SIANA can help you:
Define an IoT strategy and navigate the complex cloud provider offerings to select & implement the best solution.
Integrate a new device to an existing and/or custom IoT service.
For industrial-grade and/or highly scalable & hybrid solutions, we often turn to Amazon Web Services.
The 800lb gorilla, AWS offer the most complete portfolio of cloud services. SIANA is experienced with integrating the AWS IoTlayer on embedded devices, including secure provisioning, and integration with analytics and client applications.
For fast time-to-market and/or consumer-electronics devices, we often recommend using the Samsung Artik cloud. As an Artik partner, SIANA is experienced with integrating the Artik IoT layer on embedded devices and implementing the proper cloud strategy to integrate with third-party systems, including Home Automation, Voice Assistant, etc.
Mobile apps development
SIANA is experienced with developing cross platforms (iOS / Android) mobile applications for connected & IoT devices.
Our goal is to streamline the design cycle by bringing in UX/UI + embedded + mobile development under a same team.
We will not only help you apply best-practices at the UX/UI level, but we will also provide you with proven and fast time-to-market implementations to the typical challenges facing connected / IoT devices, such as: secure provisioning / onboarding and remote firmware upgrade.